February 14, 2012

Valentine's day cupcakes

Happy Valentine's Day! 

And a special Happy Valentine's Day shout-out to my husband! 

I hope you have a lovely day filled with love and chocolate!
I thought I'd say hello with a few heart-themed cupcakes today.  The last time I made those football cupcakes, I whipped a few extra with the Valentine's Day theme. 
These little hearts and X's and O's are made of white chocolate, the pink ones tinted with a teeny bit of food coloring.  Pipe them out onto parchment paper and peel off once dried and set to decorate your cupcakes.


The basic chocolate cupcake recipe I used can be found here.

The swiss meringue buttercream frosting recipe is here.  You could also use  regular buttercream frosting like the one on this cake.  Better yet, go with my favorite, chocolate ganache on top.

I also think this is a good instance for going the "semi-homemade" route.  Buy cupcakes from the local bakery or market and embellish them a little with some chocolate shapes on top.  I took the idea to make the white chocolate hearts from a book simply called, Cupcakes.  I melted 2 ounces of white chocolate, separately half and stirred a little bit of pink food coloring into one.  Use red or any other color you want.
Then I filled the chocolate into parchment paper cones I folded.  Pipe shapes onto a piece of parchment paper.  I thought it would be cute to make some X's and O's.  You could pipe any shape, letters you like (how about "I" "heart-shape" and "initial" of your loved one).  Make a few extras since they're fragile and a few may break when you move them.  Making them a bit thicker makes them sturdier.   
Let the shapes set on the parchment paper (doesn't take long) and carefully lift and place on your cupcakes.
Happy Valentine's Day from me to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...